Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What lies beneath... my crusty old carpet.

I knew that there were floorboards underneath the carpets when I bought my house and a building inspection confirmed that the floor was stable etc. Unfortunately a visual inspection to assess the boards' condition was not possible due to the installed carpets.

The day after settlement, I went to my new house armed with a crowbar - not only to find out what lies beneath, but also to completely remove the crusty old (dog smelling) carpets from the entire house.

My dreams of beautiful old Jarrah floorboards were shattered upon discovering damaged and stained, half unattached planks ( :'( )




My carpenter said that they *might* come out "alright" after a sand and polish, but the problem was that almost half of the boards in the spare room, a good portion of the boards in the main bedroom and almost all of the boards in the hallway needed to be replaced due to warping and water (read: dog pee) damage.

What to do?

My options were to:

  • install a floating floor system over the exisiting boards; or
  • replace the boards that needed to be replaced and then paint all the boards white; or
  • replace all the boards and then sand and polish.

5 comments:

Desperately Seeking Audrey said...

Oh no.... I so feel your pain.

In the kitchen, there' not just tar everywhere, we also have holes...... My boyfriends father MAY have found a rats nest..... so so gross!!! I want to judge myself for that one! LOL

What's a gal to do??

What are you thinking of doing?

Cathy said...

Oh no! Have you decided what to do?

Faux Fuchsia said...

I say paint is cheapest! I once looked at a house that had had GOATS living inside it. The smell was VILE.

Dressy said...

If you have the $$$ I would rip them all up and start again... polished jarrah floorboards are absolutely divine, especially with that gorgeous high roof.

We were lucky enough to pull up the carpet to uncover jarrah boards in our 1920s character home, having them sanded and polish has made the house

Karolina said...

Thank you for all your comments... my post about what I did with my boards is coming soon.

DSA - fortunately I have not found rats' nests, but I do have a killer ant problem in my yard.

FF - ew. Dog smell is bad enough - I can't even begin imagine goat smell.

Ariella - I am so jealous of your beautiful boards.